Wednesday, July 07, 2004

 

Bike of the Day

In honor of the 'malliot jaune' or yellow jersey we're gonna go with a yellow Schwinn Sting Ray.



When I was a kid my parents bought me a Sting Ray just like this bike, with one exception. My childhood bike only had one gear, since those new-fangled three-speed hubs or five speed derailers were thought to be too unreliable for a maniac like me. The cool Stick Shift was later banned by the CPSC since you could suffer a serious testicular injury in a mishap.

The only Schwinn left in the bike business is Richard Schwinn who runs a company called Waterford Precision Cycles.

Schwinns are sold in Wal Mart now, which is kind of a bummer. The Schwinn name has changed hands several times since the firm went bankrupt. You can read all about it here in this great but sad book.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?